Background of Cinnamon
Do you know about the healing power of cinnamon? Are you aware how cinnamon when consumed in your daily diet can benefit your health? I am quite sure that you may not be familiar with the healing and healthful benefits that cinnamon can have. The Indus organic Ceylon cinnamon powder is the best cinnamon you can buy as it contains very little of an ingredient called coumarin.
Cinnamon is a very old spice that dates back 4,000 years ago to Ancient Egypt. This spice was very rare and only the rich could afford it. Cinnamon has been harvested from the inner bark of trees called Cinnamomum trees for thousands of years. The Indus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder is a more pure cinnamon variety verses the brands of cinnamon found in supermarket stores today and it’s affordable.
Cinnamon was also mentioned in the Bible numerous times and was noted for its ability to fight illnesses. People have learned more about the health benefits of cinnamon as time has gone on, with research now backing up the medicinal claims of cinnamon that ancient populations have known about for centuries.
The health benefits of cinnamon can also be obtained in cinnamon extract form, when its special compounds are isolated and concentrated into high doses that have powerful effects on health.
Another use for cinnamon is in cinnamon essential oil, which contains high levels of cinnamon’s special compounds and has numerous uses.
Cinnamon Health Benefits – Video
Cinnamon Found In Stores
The cinnamon found in most stores is Cassia cinnamon and contains a higher amount of coumarin, a vanilla-scented compound, is found in many plants, formerly used for flavoring food. It is also found to cause liver and kidney damage in humans if taken in high doses.
Cinnamon comes from the bark of trees and is sold as sticks or powder in the country of origin. Ceylon cinnamon grows in Sri Lanka, Madagascar and the Seychelles, while Cassia cinnamon comes from Indonesia and China. It’s the Cassia cinnamon that can cause liver problems in sensitive people.
Today, cinnamon as we know it is made by cutting the stems of the cinnamomum tree and removing the inner bark, which curls up into cinnamon sticks. These sticks are then ground to make powdery cinnamon spice which is sold and used across the world.
Indus Organic Cinnamon
This cinnamon is produced in Shri Lanka. It is packed in allergen free, gluten free facilities in the USA. It is also packed in BPA Free jars.
- Ceylon cinnamon has between 2-5 ppm of coumarin compared to Cassia (2000-5000 ppm). Our cinnamon is tested at US lab for Courmarin.
- Salt free & Gluten Free
- No MSG, preservatives, non-irradiated, and no ETO (Ethylene Oxide)
- Processed in Allergan free plant
- Packed in food grade BPA FREE PET material jar in San Ramone, CA
- No GMO, no chemical pesticide, no chemical fertilizer, and no additives
- Features a sharp aroma and unique mild sweet taste
- DOES NOT DISSOLVE in WATER
- Premium Grade 100% Certified Organic Real Cinnamon Bark
One tablespoon of ground cinnamon contains:
- 19 calories
- 0 grams of fat, sugar, or protein
- 4 grams of fiber
- 68% manganese
- 8% calcium
- 4% iron
- 3% Vitamin K
- Price: $17.99 (8 oz. jar)
- Price: $24.99 (1 lb. jar)
- Manufacture: Indus Organics
- Part Number: CIN8WHL
- Net Weight: 1 lb.
- Shipping Weight: 17 pounds
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon was also mentioned in the Bible numerous times and was noted for its ability to fight illnesses. Now, today more and more people are taking cinnamon and finding out just how good this spice helps with their health.
In order to obtain the best health benefits of cinnamon, it must be produced organically and made from Ceylon and not Cassia.
Here are just some of the health benefits of Ceylon cinnamon:
- High Source of Antioxidants
- Anti-inflammatory Properties
- Protects Heart Health
- Helps Lower Bad LDL Cholesterol
- Fights Type 2 Diabetes
- Helps Defend Against Cognitive Decline & Protects Brain Function
- May Help Lower Cancer Risk
- Fights Infections & Viruses
- Protects Dental Health
- Can Help Prevent or Cure Candida
- Skin Health
- Sweeten Recipes Without Added Sugar
- Natural Food Preservative
When taken in the proper dosages, Ceylon cinnamon can be useful in the illnesses mentioned above.
Problems With Cinnamon
True cinnamon has very little coumarin, unlike Cassia cinnamon. A 2010 German study found that on average, Cassia cinnamon powder had up to 63 times more coumarin compared to Ceylon cinnamon powder, while Cassia cinnamon sticks contained 18 times more coumarin than Ceylon cinnamon sticks.
What is the proper dosage for taking cinnamon for its health and healing properties? The standard dosage of cinnamon is between 1 to 1.5 grams a day. ½ teaspoon equals 3 grams and 1 teaspoon is equal to 6 grams. Take this amount for therapy related doses. Otherwise, ¼ teaspoon a day should be sufficient.
If you should have type 2 diabetes, than 1 to 6 grams of cinnamon (1/2 to 1 teaspoon) should be taken daily. If you are on a medication to control your blood sugar levels, be sure to consult with your doctor before taking cinnamon. Taking cinnamon with medications could cause blood sugar levels to drop severely and cause dizziness, blurred vision, fatigue, hunger, shaking or excessive sweating.
Honey & Cinnamon Remedies
If you go back thousands of years ago, you would have found Chinese and people of India using these two ingredients for tremendous healing properties. We have provided some of these healing remedies you can use in your own home.
Please Note: Use Ceylon organic cinnamon powder for all remedies.
- Heart Disease – Apple honey and cinnamon powder on bread instead of butter or jelly and eat it regularly for breakfast. It can help prevent blockages in blood vessels, heart attacks, and hypercholesterolemia.
- Arthritis – Apple a paste made of these two ingredients on the affected area of the body and message slowly. Drinking tea made with cinnamon and honey can help relieve pain and stiffness in the joints.
- Hair Loss – Apply a paste of hot olive oil, a tablespoon of honey, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder before a bath, leave it on for 15 minutes and wash.
- Toothache – Apply a paste of honey and cinnamon powder and place it on the aching tooth.
- Cholesterol – Add honey and cinnamon powder mixed in boiling water or green tea and drink.
- Colds – Make a glass of lukewarm honey water mixed with a pinch of cinnamon powder to help boost the immune system during the cold season. It also helps in clearing the sinuses.
- Indigestion – Cinnamon powder sprinkled on a spoonful of honey taken before eating meals relieves acidity and prevents indigestion.
- Pimples – Mix with honey and cinnamon powder and apply paste on the pimples before going to bed. Wash away the next morning. Do this for two weeks. The pimples should be gone.
- Bad Breath – Gargle with honey and cinnamon powder mixed in warm water. Your breath should stay fresh throughout the day.
- Bladder Infections – Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and half a teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink. This helps destroys the bacteria in the urinary system.
- Raspy or Sore Throat – When throat has a tickle or is raspy, take one tablespoon of honey and sip until gone. Repeat every three hours until throat is without symptoms.
- Longevity – Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Use four teaspoons of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and three cups of boiling water to make a tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans increase and even a 100 year old will start performing the chores of a 20-year-old.
Cinnamon and Honey Recipe
This recipe is used for; improving body metabolism, weight reduction or loss, lowering cholesterol, and type II diabetes, pre-diabetic condition, and regulating blood sugar levels.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of *cinnamon powder (or ground cinnamon) in a cup of boiling water.
- Stir and cover to let cinnamon steep for 20 to 30 minutes. (Shorten the waiting time if you prefer a thinner drink.)
- Filter away any big particles and add a teaspoon of honey. (The cinnamon residue can also be consumed, but removing it helps to make a much more palatable cleansing drink. Downing a cup of spicy, chalky suspension with an empty stomach first thing in the morning is not an easy feat for all. But if you don’t mind drinking with the residue at all, reduce the amount of ground cinnamon and use just half a teaspoon of it.)
- Take it in the morning on an empty stomach about half hour before eating breakfast.
- Repeat for a few weeks to see results.
*The organic cinnamon powder used in the recipe above is Ceylon and not Cassia.
Frequently Asked Questions
To help you to learn more about this product, there are 29 frequently asked questions you can read. Just click on the link to read any of them.
There are over 830 customer reviews for this product and you can read some or all of them by clicking on the link.
Shop Ceylon Cinnamon Powder
You can shop for Ceylon cinnamon powder by clicking on the link below. You will be taken to the Amazon ordering page where you can place your order.
Indus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder 8 Oz. Jar
Indus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder 1 lb. Bag
Indus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder 1 lb. Jar
Indus Organic Real Ceylon (Sri Lanka) Cinnamon Sticks 16 oz.
Organic Wise Ceylon Cinnamon
Frontier Ceylon Cinnamon Organic Ground Powder
Healthworks Cinnamon Ceylon Powder
Herbs India Cinnamon Ceylon Powder
Natures Answer Percent Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon Bark Thrapeutic Grade Essential Oil
Cinnamon Aromatherapy Message Essential Oil
Below are four books that deal with the benefits of cinnamon and uses for cinnamon essential oil and honey cures as well.
Cinnamon Health Benefits Disease Prevention
Cinnamon Essential Oil Benefits
Cinnamon & Honey Cures
The Cinnamon Book
Go back to the Gluten Free Diet With Nutrition home page.
Indus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder
19 Calories Per Serving10.0/10
High Source of Antioxidants10.0/10
Helps Lower Bad LDL Cholesterol9.0/10
Natural Food Preservative9.5/10
Good For Your Health10.0/10
- Low In Calories
- High Source of Antioxidants
- Helps Lower Bad LDL Cholestrol
- Great Tasting In Recipies
- Gluten Free
- Does Not Dissolve In Water Easily
- 2-5 ppm of Coumarin
- Can Be Pricy